We are currently looking to recruit a Software Systems Engineer. The role of engineer is developing the tools required to operate and develop the control system of TARLA accelerators and subsystems. The duties will involve working closely with other members of other technical groups in TARLA and the wider EPICS collaboration to capture requirements, specify and develop new software and to support existing software.
- Design and development of software as part of the EPICS Controls System at TARLA;
- Interface with internal staff, including Engineers and Scientists, at all stages of the development life cycle to, for example, developing requirements, track project progress, and verify operation of Control Systems;
- Contribute to the processes and associated software development to support the design of Control Systems throughout EPICS collaboration, collaboration with other core EPICS developers on planning and the development for EPICS Core;
- Maintain a current knowledge of the Control Systems on other, comparable, beamline and accelerator projects;
- Provide operational support across TARLA on EPICS software components;
- Support of contractors and suppliers of Control Systems;
Qualification & Experience:
- Knowledge and experience of Linux on PC’s;
- Knowledge and experience with Scripting Languages; (Tcl/Tk, Python, Perl);
- Knowledge of networking programming (network topologies, network protocols, routing protocols and hardware configurations.);
- Knowledge and experience in programming in C and/ C++;
- Knowledge and experience in programming in Java;
- Knowledge and understanding of relational databases, and server and client side processing.
- Degree in physics, electrical engineering, computer science or equivalent or other degree, (considerable relevant experience is plus);
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written in English;
- Ability to solve technical problems, evaluating alternative courses of action and innovating where necessary;
- Demonstrate an understanding of project planning and management;
- Self-motivation and a willingness to take responsibility;
- Ability to work as part of an internationally-distributed, multi-national team;
- Ability to work effectively alone and without direct supervision;
- Experience in developing software in a real time distributed control environment.
Candidates should apply via e-mail to email@example.com with a motivation letter, detailed CV and names, surnames and contact information of at least three references who will provide them recommendation letters. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.